Saturday, April 16, 2011

Skeleton Keys

4-16-11
Was over at Kap's house last night and noticed in her hallway she had dozens of old keys hanging from a sort of pegboard. They looked really cool, and something about them really appealed to me. The keys, which are so commonplace, seemed somehow special and otherworldly out of context like that, used as a sort of art project. And the effect was intensified by the fact that they acted as a crude chime when the wind would blow through the hall.

I took a bunch of pictures, and then tried to edit the ones that made me feel something. This one felt x-files-ish to me, like the shadows were something captured on film that the naked eye couldn't see. I tried to emphasize that feeling with a skeleton/night vision sort of effect. 

I just really loved how she used all these old, useless keys and tried to bring out the overlap of the both magical and mundane nature that keys contain. And if you scoff at the idea that keys have a magical nature, you clearly have never found the master key after searching dungeon after dungeon in a Zelda game, nor have you ever locked yourself out of the house when it's below zero out!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent observations. Even cooler photo! I'm only disappointed that I didn't think of the idea myself. So many old keys, just crammed into drawers over the years. I never knew what to do with them, but it just seemed wrong to put them in the garbage! :-/

    ReplyDelete