Saturday, September 24, 2011

Culinary Prowess

9-24-11
I've been wanting to make Shepherd's Pie for a while now because I just freaking love it but I rarely get to eat it and it seems so easy. So when I went to the store the other day I got some ground lamb (it has to be lamb to be authentically Irish!) thinking I'd try it out. I didn't even have this in mind, though, when I decided to make mashed potatoes this evening. I just had seen on Chopped how you can make mashed potatoes with cauliflower mashed in! I thought hey that's genius! And it makes the mashed potatoes healthier! I had a whole head of cauliflower and wasn't sure what to do with it because while I do like it, I don't LOVE it so a whole head is a lot to eat on my own.


So after I mashed it up with the potatoes and realized how MUCH I had I thought, wait a second, why don't I just keep going and use this for shepherd's pie? 


And that, my friends, is precisely what I did. It is DELICIOUS and nutritious! Here's the recipe I used: Shepherd's Pie. Besides adding cauliflower to the potatoes, I also put way more peas than it called for. I also used gluten-free flour (obviously), and I left the skins on the potatoes because, well, they're just better that way. I think I'd add green beans and corn next time, though. The more veggies the better I always say.

Yum yum yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment