Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Projects

This evening after getting home from the A's game*  I was going to read, but I just didn't feel like doing something quite so, well, passive for lack of another word. I've been wanting to do some sewing projects for a while but just haven't gotten around to it. I have this lofty dream that I will make myself a pencil bag for all my pencils and sharpies (yeah I like to draw and write with sharpies). I've even gone so far as to go to the fabric store and buy needles, thread and fabric for said project:

I looooved the colors of this fabric and don't act like you don't just absolutely adore these ridiculous chickens. I got the red patterned fabric to use as a lining inside. And yes, I did pick it because of the color...but mostly because I thought it looked like chicken scratching...which was very important to me as I chose my chicken fabric.

Anyhow, I must have bought this fabric at least a couple of months ago now, but haven't gotten around to making anything with it. Typical. If there is one thing you can say about me is that I take forever to complete projects. Mostly because I get distracted by other projects and things I want to do. But! If you can say one other thing about me it is that I pretty much always eventually complete the projects I set out to...it just might be a few daysweeksdistractionsmonthsyears after I decided to do it. 

So anyway, tonight I decided to get started. I found a great youtube video on how to thread a vintage machine like mine. I got it threaded. So far so good: 


Then I realized I needed to wind the bobbin somehow...and I had no idea how to do it on this machine. So, I found another youtube video about how to wind the bobbin! And that is when I noticed this: 

Yep. That's exactly where the little pin thing you need to wind the bobbin is supposed to go. This spurred nearly two hours of online research to find out what that thing is called (it's a spool pin!) which in turned leed to figuring out where to purchase one, and what size I might need, etc. All of this research led me to trying to find a manual for my machine (to no avail), and also led me to believe that my machine is probably in serious need of being cleaned and oiled. I had no idea such things were done to sewing machines, but given that it's a machine I suppose it's just logical that that is the case. 

So, it seems I'm at a standstill on this project for the moment. I sent a message to a local sewing store and asked about cleaning/repairs etc. because I haven't a clue how much that might cost and I'm sure as hell not lugging this heavy thing on BART if they can't help me and I can't afford it. I did, however, learn a great many things as I was doing all this research. For example, I learned that this lever here adjusts the # of stitches per inch! Now that is useful information! 

I also discovered this odd hole...it seems to have some sort of adjustment mechanism inside but I haven't a clue what it's for. Something to ask about.

I also came to terms with just how dirty this machine really is. I mean, egads. However, as I worked on it, read about it, watched videos and examined the machine more closely, I also realized how beautiful it is. One thing I LOVE about old stuff is how much care we used to put into making even mundane things beautiful. Modern items just don't have this kind of detail most of the time. But don't tell my brother or he'll be all like "see! That's what I've been saying! Everything should be beautiful!" which will only spur another argument on what is and isn't art and who is a true artist ;)





 Anyhow...hopefully soon I'll actually be sewing on this pretty little machine. I suppose I'll get distracted with another project in the interim...but maybe not. I had so much fun working with it today and I didn't even DO anything. Imagine what might happen when I can actually start using it. :)

Until then, ciao. 

*I know what you're thinking, "the A's? Seriously?! THEY SUCK" Yes. Do they lose? A lot? Yes. Do I care? Well, sort of...but my dad raised us to be A's fans. My mom wanted us to be Giants fans, and I suppose we are...but when it comes down to choosing between the 2 (i.e. when they play each other), or who I feel more dedicated/connected to...well, it's Oakland all the way.  I'm sure some of this has to do with my father's declaration that the Giants were for rich people and the A's were for people like us...lol. I'm sure he was joking and just trying to rile my mom up, but I took it seriously as a kid. Plus, the A's were just always more forefront in our minds growing up for whatever reason. My brother was convinced he would some day play for them. But I digress. All I really mean to say is: Let's go Oakland, let's go *CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP*!!!

2 comments: