Sunday, January 9, 2011

Pixar Time

1-9-10
I told Jess and Jeanelle we needed to go see the Pixar exhibit at the Oakland Museum before it was gone, so we went tonight. Here they are showing off their tickets and...looking weird. 
Despite the questionable company the experience was rather amazing. Seriously, Pixar. Soooooooooo cool. And am I the only one who remembers the pixar lamp on Sesame Street long before Pixar was born? Anyone else? I didn't, however, realize that animation had won recognition at SIGGRAPH. Pretty cool. Anyway, back to the exhibit. I'd seen some of the stuff they had when Jonathan and I went to Pixar w/Gigi last summer but this was like that times a million and with videos and concept art and story boards and paintings and models and artist notes and so on. One room had a film that basically made you feel like you had just bathed in the worlds Pixar has created, which maybe doesn't sound as appealing or sensical now that I write it as it sounded in my head, but trust me it was pretty sweet. I'd kill to be able to create such worlds and tell such stories. Oh and then, THEN, there was one room where they were showing how still images get turned into an animation....there was a term for it...I can't remember what it's called now...but like a flip book. Anyway the point is there were all these models from Toy Story on a round platform, and it would start spinning, and then a strobe light would come on and omfg BAM they were animated and 3-D and it actually kind of tripped me out and made me question my perception of reality a little bit. 

So, to summarize: go to the Pixar exhibit. Then go home and draw, because that's all you'll want to do after. But, don't go to the Pixar exhibit high. You will flip out in that one room. No, seriously.

1 comment:

  1. ZOETROPE! That's what the freaky spinny thing at the Pixar exhibit was called! I was just talking to my brother (he's an animator. He's so cool, you don't even know) about the exhibit and he asked if they had that. It's so freaking freaky because it's in 3-D (not like 3-D movies though. Those are mostly lame). He's never seen one though. And I have. I'm cooler than you, Jonathan. HA! Anyway, yeah. There you go. Zoetrope.

    ReplyDelete