Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Reflecting

Well now that it's been 2011 for a few days, I figured I should actually think about resolutions and reflect on 2010.

But before I do that - have you heard? The end of the world is coming. Apparently thousands of birds spontaneously dropped dead out of the Arkansas sky. But wait, that's not all - now thousands of fish have also inexplicably dropped dead. Either Arkansas residents have some 'splainin to do, or that whole 2012 theory is spot on. Clearly those are the only two possible explanations. I wonder if Arkansas really is located at the mouth of hell (vs. Sunnyvale). Hmmm...

Anyway, considering the fact that the end of the world is creeping forward, it is definitely a good time to reflect and to plan to do as much as possible before it all goes down in 2012.

Last year I resolved to try and be more creative, which was the reason for this blog and for doing this picture-a-day project. I'm pretty happy with my success in that arena. Minus one or two days, I took a picture every day and it definitely has made a difference in my outlook and perception of the world in a really great way. I've had a really good time engaging in my environment and attempting to capture moments, events, and things in time. It's also been a really great journalistic exercise, which I didn't expect. Documenting my year in pictures really helps you look back and say "wow, look how much happened this year" and to do so in a different way than just blogging does (at least for me). I appreciated the chance to keep a sort of journal that didn't require writing. Having a picture as a catalyst, also, made the writing I did do so much easier - without the intimidating blank page staring back at me asking "well, what's so interesting about what you have to say anyway?" So this year I am definitely going to keep up the picture-a-day blog, but I also am going to focus more on my writing this year - both fiction and non-fiction.

To be honest...other than this blog...I can't really remember if I made other resolutions, and therefore can't remember if I kept them...oh! Except, I did resolve to do a triathlon last year! And I did that! And I wanted to learn Spanish, and I started that too! This year I resolve to keep learning Spanish and do a longer triathlon (hopefully my knee will cooperate with that goal). I'm pretty sure the other resolutions I made were less tangible - they had more to do with my approach and attitude towards life, other people, not letting my fears get the better of me, and stretching myself. I think that I really have come a long way. Details are probably better left in my weird head, but I resolve to keep moving forward in those arenas. 2010 has been a looong, difficult, but also good year. I'm excited to reflect again next year and see what has happened and where I feel I've improved, matured, and resolved things in my life.

Ok, now for my other New Year's resolutions (or at least the ones I can think of for now; they tend to evolve as the year proceeds):

  1. Get rid of clothes that don't fit me and try to be less wary of wearing clothes that will actually make me look good. I started this in 2010 with my own personal Stacy and Clinton (aka Delphine and Carin), but I'm pretty sure the next step is to actually get rid of pants that are 2-3 sizes too big. Why do I own such large clothes? I don't know. Somehow I convinced myself I was that large.
  2. Watch more classics! Classics as in, movies everyone has or should see. Like West Side Story. Who hasn't seen that movie? Me! WHY!? I have no idea! I started this, unofficially in 2010 by watching Oliver and Citizen Kane and Bye Bye Birdie and Guys and Dolls (all sooo good...except for Oliver, which was kind of lame). But I think I need to somehow make a list and actually start checking them off, like I have been doing with classic books...maybe I'll google "must see classics/films" or something. Anyway, TCM/AMC/IFC I love you, and I want to have an even closer relationship this year than we had this year. It's on.
  3. Publish, publish, PUBLISH. I have decided to just try and publish my entire thesis vs. trying to create articles from it, at least to start. I found a publishing house that seems promising (they've published the only other 2 works on this topic). I just need to finish reading the guidelines, do some editing and go for it. I also need to e-mail professors at schools who are doing work with ASL and linguistics. I'm making it a resolution so I actually do it - and will make a schedule so I keep myself accountable. I'm itching to do something more meaningful than what I'm doing now...
  4. In the same vein, this year is the year to apply to grad schools. I decided last year I wasn't ready, but I am feeling more settled and ready now. Even if I don't end up going I need to take this step and at least SEE where/if I can get in...

Well I think that's enough for now. I don't want to resolve to do TOO many things or I won't focus because really I just want to do everything in the freaking world (speaking of which, I'm also going to finish this book (started it over break - Jenny read it and thought I might find it useful) and try to use some of the tactics because I think it might be helpful to me. The end.

Uh. This post ended up a lot longer than I intended. Oh well. BAM.

2 comments:

  1. YOU ARE AWESOME BEKAH I LOVE YOU! :) You are smart and make good resolutions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks lil' sis. Back atchya!

    ReplyDelete