Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Como Se Dice "Pathetic"?

2-23-11
Here is my frantic attempt at translating a really long passage into Spanish in the hour I had between work and class tonight. I've been seriously slacking in this class so far this semester which makes me irritated with myself. Because I really want to learn this language. And while it made me feel a little bit better that everyone else in class seemed to have used google translate to figure this assignment out, really...it's pretty pathetic that everyone else is doing as poorly as I am. We should have been able to do this without using google translate. And I should have been able to remember to bring my dictionary to class. And I should have been able to figure out whether I should conjugate in the preterit or imperfect tense when the professor called on me. And yet...
I think I'm going to have a serious date with a coffee shop and senor espanol this weekend. 

On a related, but different note, today I also discovered that I am much better at Cha-cha-cha-ing than I am at Salsa-ing (is it called Cha-Cha? Or just Cha...? Cha-cha-cha? I remember getting laughed at recently when I tried to say what kind of dance it was...but I can't remember what the right term was. More mocking and laughter are surely in my future). Some of the guys in class, however, are really awkward when the professor makes us dance in pairs. I feel like saying, "Hey, bud, it's ok to actually hold my hands instead of awkwardly holding my wrists. I promise I won't like, hit on you, or anything..." I'm not sure if I'm intimidating them with my incredible looks and womanly wiles or if I just smell funny. Probably the latter! bwahahah!
It's certainly entertaining, to say the least.

2 comments:

  1. #1 I hate preterit tense. #2 I'm sure your looks are responsible for the odd behavior. #3 Your photo rocks! I love the falling into who knows where look! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My landlord teaches Spanish so she gave me the link to this really great website which has helped me understand preterit vs. imperfect a LOT.

    ReplyDelete