Saturday, February 26, 2011

S'no Good. :(


I would just like to take a moment to express my deep consternation at the weather. We have been getting threatening forecasts of the storm of the century and a record breaking snow fall that was going to hit the Bay Area on Friday night. Now. Part of the reason I live here, and not in Michigan (among many other even more important reasons) is the fact that I am not a huge fan of the cold, or the winter. However, it's not because I'm necessarily opposed to cold or winter or snow in and of themselves. I just hate that these things last so LONG. Two months would be perfect. In January, I still enjoy the fact that my boogers freeze in my nose immediately upon opening the front door (well "enjoy" may be a bit strong - find amusing?), and sliding on the ice to my car instead of walking on firm ground, and going sledding and looking up at the falling flakes. But come February, for the most part, the novelty has worn off and you just want some sunshine and MAYBE a temperature above 0, and you're dreaming about how amazing it would be to go for a run without your lungs exploding. And yet. It will continue on this way for another three months.

For all of these reasons, I'm glad it doesn't normally snow here. But I was really excited about the prospect of seeing some flurries at least and getting to experience all the good things about winter and snow, without any of the drudgery that usually accompanies it. Because I DO love watching snow fall. And when you know it's going to be gone as quickly as it arrived, snow is even more exciting: all of the fun, none of the depressing after-effects of having to trudge through brown dirty snow and rub feeling back into your toes even though you were wearing 5 pairs of socks and 2 of them were wool (you think I exaggerate but I really did wear that many pairs of socks in MI. And I was always still cold) on a daily basis.

We were even going to take Nicole's kids up to Mt. Diablo to see snow for the first time. There is really nothing better than hanging out with kids who are experiencing snow for the first time (well, until they suddenly realize how cold they are and they start crying...but it usually takes at least 30 minutes for that to happen, and THEN you get hot chocolate!). So. I was excited. I wanted it to snow SO BADLY. I shook my fist in the faces of the naysayers at work, and when at midnight, when it was supposed to start snowing, Suneal kept giving me a play by play of the clear, snowless weather forecast on his stupid iphone I shook my fist at him and said "It's coming, just you wait! They laughed at Noah too!!!!"

But alas. To no avail. My positive thinking, and snow dancing, and biblical references were no match for the gods of good weather that live in the Bay. Not. A single. FLAKE. Instead we woke up to a bright sunny day, with only a few nominal clouds in the sky. In fact, it was gorgeous.

Sigh.

Well...there's always next year!

1 comment:

  1. Lmao "They laughed at Noah too!!!" I love you Bekah ;)

    ReplyDelete