Saturday, March 5, 2011

Exciting Finds and Creations

 3-5-11
I mentioned that yesterday I went to Black Oak Books to use a groupon, and that I went to the Missing Link before that (I think I mentioned that part...I could check, but I won't). Well now, my friends, I answer the question that I know has been plaguing your mind for the past 24 hours: "What did Bekah buy?!" Well feast your eyes on the beauty that is before you. I made some amazing finds. First I got these awesome panniers for only $50!!! (That's a good price, if you didn't know). Aren't they adorable!?!? They're blue! I love blue! Well, truth be told Eric found them and showed them to me but still. I love them! I can totally fit a couple of bags of groceries in them if I want to! As I told Katherine, this is the next big bicycle step for me. It means I'm actually mentally capable of considering running errands on my bike, to the extent that I'm taking proactive measures to make that physically feasible. Which is exciting and scary. If you don't know, I have a sort of irrational fear of biking and being flattened into a pancake by a car, or just careening into a cement wall and dying (that has happened to me before. Minus the dying part) which I've been working to overcome for the past 2 years. And good thing I have been working on it too, considering I am now sans car and faced with biking as a real mode of transportation vs. an amusing hobby. For a girl who would hardly get on a bike a year and a half ago I think I'm getting pretty brave! 

Oh, the 2nd thing in this picture is one of the awesome books I got with my groupon! It's Art Spiegelman's "Breakdowns"! It's a collection of his comics, and some of them are the comics that led up to his creation of Maus, the first graphic novel I ever read (it was actually one of my brother's Christmas gifts one year. I had never heard of graphic novels, and I was all "What is THIS?" and proceeded to devour it before he even had a chance to open to the first page). So I was pretty excited when I saw this book! It's in perfect condition too. Squee! I also found the 2nd book in the New York Trilogy by Paul Auster, which was pretty exciting considering I haven't been able to find it anywhere besides amazon.

My other exciting news, and accomplishment this weekend is that tonight I made granola! It was really easy, much cheaper than buying it from Trader Joe's, and turned out really well, which is great because I really really REALLY love granola. Next time I'd cut the baking time down by maybe 2 minutes (the edges were a leetle burn-y)...and maybe add a little bit of vanilla, but otherwise this recipe worked out really well (I used cashews instead of hazelnuts).

Fin! 

3 comments: