Sunday, March 6, 2011

Uh Oh, DISTRACTION!

3-6-11
I was trying so hard today to be good and study for Spanish. And then I got to this page. The people who made my Spanish text book apparently aren't aware that if they put sign language in the book, I'm going to become immediately distracted and go searching online for ways to learn it, and completely forget about the fact that I'm supposed to be learning Spanish. But...but look at those signs! They're so completely different! "Muy amigos"?!?! That's how they sign it? FASCINATING. I wonder how the linguistics differ? Are there completely different standards for hand shape and placement and movement and palm orientation?!?!!? I NEED TO KNOW!


I really need to find a way to learn more signed languages because a) they excite me far more than spoken languages (not that I should stop trying to learn Spanish, of course), and b) I am so much better at them! I guarantee you that I will remember all of those signs after looking at these pictures once or twice. As opposed to Spanish where I feel like the biggest idiot of all time in class. However! I did read the article about  LSM (Lengua de Señas Mexicana) in the book! And it was all in Spanish, and I understood 99% of it. I need to keep these small victories in mind when I get frustrated, because 6 months ago I wouldn't have been able to read an entire article in Spanish. 


Still.


I'm going to do some more research on LSM. Maybe I can get the basics down via the internet...and then take a trip to Mexico and try and use my Spanish AND learn more about LSM! Oh man. What if I could be a research assistant or intern or something in Mexico at some language institute and improve my Spanish AND learn LSM AND be doing something exciting and related to linguistics and...and...*hyperventilating* Ok...I'm off to do some research...and uh, finish my Spanish homework. Yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment