Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Welcome Back Old Friend

It has been a long day. A long day sans picture taking because I just didn't have the time. So instead I shall just blather on to you about how Insomnia, my dear friend for the last few weeks, has returned to me. I thought he was gone and I slept fairly well for almost an entire week. But once again, last night, who should appear but this evil visitor. I don't think it's any coincidence that the return of the mack haha, ok sorry just had to. Remember the 90s? Good times, good times. But I digress, what was I saying? Oh yes, I don't think it's any coincidence that insomnia returned just in time for Monday - Monday looming and reminding me that the past few weeks have felt months long, and that the other shoe is about to drop, causing me to stare wide-eyed into space with all the thoughts of all the things I need to do and all the worst-case scenarios and my possible reactions to said worst-case scenarios swimming around in my head.

No wonder I couldn't sleep.

The day was pretty good, though, considering I got 3 hours of sleep. And, at least at this point I recognize insomnia when it creeps into bed with me and figured I might as well get something done since just lying there wasn't going to fix anything. So I was productive in those sleepless hours instead of awake and frustrated that I'm both not sleeping and also not accomplishing anything. I got some good research done on 3 different grad schools. Although I'm trying not to make any firm judgements until I've looked through all the schools on my list (there are 13) so I can adequately compare them I am pretty sure I'd love Cal (got a few new names of people to contact). They do a LOT with cognitive linguistics which I'm thinking more and more I'd LOVE, and a lot of their professors incorporate signed languages into their articles. In contrast, I am pretty sure I'll end up ruling NYU out (Waaaaaaaaaaay too much phonology. Phonology is great and all but it just doesn't interest me beyond a 'huh, isn't that interesting' sort of reaction. Plus, I don't think any of their professors even touched on signed languages in any of their research).

And I'm unsure about Boston U. They were top of my list, but last night I realized their program is in Applied Linguistics...which actually sounds kinda good to me (implies a more practical focus vs. a focus on research, and they have this great Sign Language research foundation they've set up funded by the NSF!). Of anywhere (besides Gallaudet) I think I'd have the most opportunity to work directly on signed linguistics there. I'd just be concerned about applied translating into researchers who are trying to find a cure for deafness - something I cannot in good conscious support or engage in. I didn't get that impression from their website though so I'm hopeful that isn't the case.

Take THAT insomnia. Next on my list to research are Gallaudet (duh), Chicago, and SFSU. If I can't sleep tonight, you know what I'll be doing...but hopefully I'll sleep.

G'night.

No comments:

Post a Comment